Friday, March 07, 2008

Things are A Changin'

Okay, I promise...this was him smiling...but it looks like he's in pain.

He's such a thinker. He always gets these serious expressions on his face as he's studying something. It's happened like this since he was a newborn.

Well, it has been a LONG winter. Jack has been sick since early November...ear infection after ear infection, RSV, pneumonia, multiple rounds of pink eye, and the list goes on and on. We had tubes put in his ears in early February. The procedure went smoothly and for about a week he was sleeping and acting beautifully. But, his left ear drainage became too thick and blocked off the tube causing more pain and a bit of temporary hearing loss. This way the final straw for me. My mom instincts kicked in and Nathan and I decided the only way these issues were going to stop was if we pulled him out of daycare. I found a weekend job at a local hospital within a week that will actually pay a significant amount more than my teaching job- and I will only be working 2 nights/week. This leaves all my days free to hang out with Jack... and while I'm working, he'll be safe in Daddy's hands to do boy things (whatever those might be). 
While I'm not exactly thrilled about working every weekend or the night shift, it's a small price to pay to be able to spend so much of these important years with Jack and I'm actually kind of embarrassed that I didn't make the switch sooner. 
A week has passed since my last day working at the school. It's gone by a lot faster than I expected. Jack and I have been busy visiting the pet store, playing outside and going to the library. Our house is actually somewhat clean and we actually have been eating our meals at home. Jack doesn't have a runny nose (which I was beginning to think was a constant) and his night time cough seems to be dwindling. Yay! 

3 comments:

It's a Mom Thing said...

I'm so glad this has worked out for you. You're exactly right, those sacrifices are a small price to pay for a healthy, happy boy! I think he looks so much like you and I pray you enjoy your time with him during the day!

ellieandavasmommy said...

Goodness! You guys have had it rough?!? Glad things are better and we hope Jack stays better now. :-)

Kelli said...

Glad things are working out better for you and that you're able to be home with Jack. CDK got a job and I'm staying home with NGK too, so maybe a play date is in the future!